Who needs preimplantation genetic screening, its capabilities and procedure
Preimplantation genetic screening increases the chances of pregnancy in terms of IVF program on average for 2.5 times. In addition, this technique is used to analyze abortion material in order to diagnose the genetic causes of pregnancy loss.
NGS in IVF program
Genetic analysis NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) in IVF program is performed before embryo transfer to the uterine cavity and allows:
• in 2-2.5 times (depending on the age of expectant mother) increase the likelihood of pregnancy onset;
• completely eliminate the likelihood of embryo transfer with a genetic pathology;
• eliminate the likelihood of multiple pregnancy and thus minimize the risk of miscarriage or premature birth;
• reduce the time from the moment of your first visit to the clinic to the birth of a baby;
• avoid repeated IVF cycles, reduce the hormonal pressure on a woman’s body.
In IVF program, about 60% of all miscarriages in the first trimester is due to chromosomal abnormalities. The NGS method provides an opportunity to analyze all 24 chromosomes and thus to reduce the probability of pregnancy loss or miscarriage due to the chromosomal abnormalities presence in the embryo.
Who needs genetic analysis NGS
All women undergoing an IVF program can decide to do NGS analysis. However, the indicated medical conditions for doing NGS analysis are:
• one or more failed IVF attempts;
• the presence of hereditary diseases in the family;
• if the mother is over the age of 35;
• recurrent pregnancy loss.
The accuracy of embryo examination for chromosomal and monogenic diseases is 99.9%. The process is fully automated, which excludes the probability of human mistake factor.
How is NGS analysis performed?
Material for genetic analysis of the embryo can be obtained on the fifth day of embryo development, when cells begin to differentiate. For the examination, cells are taken from the outer layer, which will form the placenta later. Therefore, the risk of traumatizing the embryo is at absolute minimal.
Embryo transfer after receiving a positive result can be performed at any time, depending on the health status of the woman and her personal wishes. The viability of the embryo is fully preserved due to the freezing method of vitrification.
In ISIDA clinic, more than 25% of IVF cycles are performed using the NGS method. Since the introduction of NGS, this method has been used in more than 160 IVF cycles and more than 400 embryos have been examined.
NGS method in programs for diagnosing causes of miscarriage
Statistics show that about 50% of miscarriages in the first trimester (in natural pregnancy) occur due to chromosomal abnormalities in the embryo. In ART programs (assisted reproductive technologies) or after a course of infertility treatment, this proportion is 60% and increases with the age of the woman.
The information received with the help of NGS method helps to determine the cause of miscarriage and to select correct treatment program that ensures a healthy pregnancy.
Genetic analysis of fertilization products has a very high information content and can be used in 99.9% of tests at various periods of missed abortion or pregnancy.
About 25% of all confirmed pregnancies end up in miscarriage, and in about 50% of cases, chromosomal abnormalities become the reason for it. At the age of more than 35 years, this indicator grows to 60% or even more.
ISIDA clinic potential is confirmed by many years of successful operation.
ISIDA clinic is:
• over 26 years of experience in the field of reproductive health of men and women;
• 796 employees, 3 medical centers, including the Genetic Laboratory Center, which has more than 15 years of experience in genetic analysis performance;
• 4 establishments;
• own clinical diagnostic laboratories open 24/7;
• 45,000 treatment cycles;
• 155,000 patients;
• 12 700 babies.
ISIDA has more than 10 certificates confirming the high level of quality in all areas of operation.